In the box office this weekend, Avatar maintained the top spot yet again, earning the highest gross ever in a third weekend and highest for New Year's Day. The gal-ditches-her-uptight-fiance-for-laid-back-guy romantic comedy Leap Year comes out next week, though, so this can't last forever, Avatar.
Here's the top five:
1. Avatar - $68.3 million. Within the week, it's expected to surpass Return of the King and Dead Man's Chest in worldwide box office, placing the film in second place behind a fellow James Cameron film, Titanic. Just goes to show how effective playing sci-fi MadLibs with a Pocahontas book report can be.
2. Sherlock Holmes - $38.4 million. Will this film have enough influence on future perception of the fictional detective to force a more action-oriented take on how Data and Geordi act out Holmes on the holodeck in the 24th century? Find out on the next episode of Starrrrr Trek: The Next Generation.
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel - $36.6 million. Squeaky Squeak Year!
4. It's Complicated - $18.7 million. It's the pointless Facebook relationship status like you've never seen it before: with old people!
5. The Blind Side - $12.7 million Up over ten percent. In its seventh week. I suspect practical magic is at play, Sandra Bullock.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]