America Loves Freedom and Those Little Yellow CGI Jerks
Your Fourth of July weekend box office:
1. Despicable Me - $82.5 million, a proud, patriotic showing of America's freedom to choose between whichever celebrity-voiced CGI creature or makeup-slathered Johnny Depp we're presented with at any given time.
2. The Lone Ranger - $29.4 million--Depp's worst debut ever for a film where he wears a bird as a hat.
3. The Heat - $25 million. Fun fact: originally producers wanted the film to be led by Jenny McCarthy and Jim J. Bullock.
4. Monsters University - $19.6 million, dropping three spots as audiences begin to finally feel the shame of the Monster frats' grotesquely sexual hazing rituals.
5. World War Z - $18.2 million, bolstered by that being the next available showing and god is it hot out. Let's just see that.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]