Sandra Bullock Space Program Still Proving Successful
Your weekend box office:
1. Gravity - $31 million, giving a third first-place week to Alfonso Cuarón's buddy comedy about uptight, by-the-books Sandra Bullock and her problems to complete a mission with the wild and freewheelin' space debris.
2. Captain Phillips - $17.3 million, another solid week of sales for Tom Hanks's knock-off brand spiced rum.
3. Carrie - $17 million. When it comes to watching a girl get pigs' blood dumped on her, some of us would rather just stay in and do it at home.
4. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - $10.1 million, another week reaffirming America's love for anything with meatballs in it.
5. Escape Plan - $9.8 million--dreadful by today's standards but not quite so bad for 1988, the year this would have actually been popular.
And if you're wondering, WikiSherlock didn't do so well: The Fifth Estate opened at over 1,700 locations to only $1.7 million.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]