Though not afraid of no ghost, it seems the Ghostbusters do have something to fear from computer-rendered animals doing goofy shit. Over the weekend, Paul Feig's new Ghostbusters couldn't quite top last week's box office champ, The Secret Life of Pets. The reboot opened in second with $46 million, which is pretty good for a live-action comedy but not so great for one that cost a reported $144 million. Angry, purist fans apparently just aren't willing to accept a Ghostbusters where Andy Garcia is mayor.
Here's your weekend box office:
1. The Secret Life of Pets - $50.6 million
2. Ghostbusters - $46 million
3. The Legend of Tarzan - $11.1 million
4. Finding Dory - $11 million
5. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $7.5 million
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]