Your weekend top five:
1. Couples Retreat - $35.3 million. Given no other new options, audiences did what they always do and paid their $10-12 for whatever abysmal thing they were given.
2. Zombieland - $15 million. More than laughter, I was glad this movie provided me the knowledge that a meek, pathetic, white 20-something could survive in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. Phew!
3. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - $12 million, putting the film even further ahead of Meatballs, Meatballs II, and Meatballs III for the title of Highest Grossing Film with the Word 'Meatballs' in the Title.
4. Toy Story 1 & 2 - $7.7 million. I think I'll wait to see if it comes to theaters a third time before I'll see what this "Toy Story" is all about.
5. Paranormal Activity - $7 million. Pretty great considering it's only playing on 160 screens, cost next to nothing to make, and leaves all who see it permanently haunted by a Civil War-era specter.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]