This past weekend, teen and pre-teen girls ran to get into New Moon quicker than they run to get into a codependent, embarrassingly long-term relationship with some dude from high school, and the film opened to the third highest weekend of all time. Here's how it all panned out:
1. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - Fucking hell, $140.7 million? Stephanie Meyers can finally afford to get the experimental surgery to fuse solid gold sparkles into her skin. A few thousand times.
2. The Blind Side - $34.5 million. Pretty decent considering its tough vampire competition, and how it looked like such an utter POS.
3. 2012 - $26.5 million. They Mayans were right. They always predicted, "2012 will make more than it deserves given its poor critical reception, but what more would you expect from the brutish hoi polloi?"
4. Planet 51 - Ouch, $12.6 million. You have to figure paying someone to come up with the tagline "there's no space like home" probably cost that much. Unfortunately.
5. A Christmas Carol - $12.2 million, but that could easily get a boost in upcoming weeks, as we get closer to the season when audiences want to see a terrifying old man effigy move around in creepily unnatural ways while Jim Carrey shouts.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]