Time to place your less-cared-about category Oscar bets! The Academy has announced the shortlist of seven films still in contention for the Best Visual Effects award, and they are:
- Alice in Wonderland (for all its 3-Ds)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (for its CGI magick)
- Inception (for its convincing upside-down hallways)
- Iron Man 2 (for its realistic Iron Men)
- Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (all those hearts)
- Tron Legacy (good use of neon, most nearly-convincing young Jeff Bridges)
- and Hereafter (for the stylish design of Matt Damon character's psychic website)
No Social Network, for its impressive douche-doubling? Surprising.
The final five nominees will be announced January 25, at which point the visual effects team behind Hereafter will be pretty let down.