Though 2011 already brought us a straight-to-video Amityville film and the promise of a found-footage Amityville movie from Dimension Films and Miramax (The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes!), still the haunted house begs for its story to be told again, and without Ryan Reynolds.
And it looks like Evergreen Media Group will be the ones telling that story, again, with the production company today announcing a still-untitled Amityville project that "will be first time ever that the true prequel to the Amityville Horror will be told," according to Evergreen's statement. Their secret to prequel truth? They've reportedly "acquired the found footage of famous March 6, 1976 séance conducted by WNEW TV news in the Amityville house in addition to their previously acquired life rights of former WNEW-TV reporters Laura DiDio and Marvin Scott." Though the mislabeling of "some TV station footage we bought" as ever-exciting "found footage" would seem to point toward the inclusion of said footage in the film, producer Tony DeRosa-Grund told THR that it will not be used, and will merely serve as inspiration that will allow their script to speak truths that The Amityville Horror, Amityville II: The Possession, Amityville 3-D, (aka, Amityville III: The Demon) Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes, The Amityville Curse, Amityville: It's About Time, Amityville: A New Generation, Amityville Dollhouse, The Amityville Horror (2005), and The Amityville Haunting have long denied us. The spirits of Amityville can at last sleep soundly, once they find out for certain that Ryan Reynolds is definitely not in this one.