Netflix has today revealed their so-called Binge Scale, a ranking revealing which shows we "savor," like a fine wine, and which "devour," like that brick of cheese we devoured over an episode of Daredevil.
Analyzing global viewer data and definitely judging us, the company examined which shows we watch for hours at a time and which we're able to pull ourselves away from, to go pick up more cheese. As seen in the graphic above, their results claim that shows that "assault your senses" are harder to stop watching, while more complex dramatic narratives seem to allow for easier breaks. Darker, "irreverent" comedies that let us laugh at our flaws but also make us come to terms with what grotesque, cheese-gobbling monsters we are ended up being the least-binged. You're great, BoJack, but there's only so much self-destruction we can take beyond our own dairy consumption.
Here's the detailed rundown:
THE NETFLIX BINGE SCALE** (Based on global viewing data)
- Irreverent Comedies:
- Arrested Development, BoJack Horseman, Club de Cuervos, F is for Family, Love, Summer Heights High, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Wet Hot American Summer
- Political Dramas
- Homeland, House of Cards, Occupied, The Good Wife, The West Wing
- Historical Dramas
- Mad Men, Narcos, Peaky Blinders, The Americans
- Superhero Drama
- Gotham, Marvel's Daredevil, Marvel's Jessica Jones, The Flash
- Crime Dramas
- Better Call Saul, Bloodline, Fargo, The Blacklist, The Bridge, Twin Peaks
- Dramatic Comedies
- Flaked, Grace & Frankie, Nurse Jackie, Orange is the New Black, Parenthood, Rescue Me, Weeds
- Action & Adventure
- 24, Arrow, La Reina del Sur, Marco Polo, Outlander, Prison Break, The Last Kingdom, Turn, Vikings
- Ascension, Between, Heroes, Orphan Black, Sense8, The 100, The 4400, Under the Dome
- American Horror Story, Hemlock Grove, Penny Dreadful, Scream, The Walking Dead, Z Nation
- Bates Motel, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, The Fall, The Following, The Killing
Netflix analyzed more than 100 serialized TV series across more than 190 countries between October 2015 and May 2016. The research examined member completion of the first season for all series. Data was only included for accounts that fully completed the season. Completion rates were organized into days and hours. The global median days to complete the first season of these series was five days. The median hours per session for completers overall was two hours and ten minutes. Series viewed less than two hours per day were identified as 'savored.' Series viewed more than two hours per day were identified as 'devoured.' Series were not restricted by launch dates, runtime or number of episodes. Where a series falls on The Netflix Binge Scale has no relation to viewership.
** Not all series are available in all countries