With its broadly palatable conceit, cinematic email-forward The Secret Life of Pets easily dominated the box office over the weekend. The film--which daringly asked, hey, what if our pets fucked around while we're away?--set a new record for an original, non-sequel animated property, besting Inside Out's $90.4 million opening by nearly $13 million. In other words, get ready for a Secret Life of Pets franchise that isn't going to stop until we uncover every goddamn thing those cats are hiding from us.
Here's your weekend box office:
1. The Secret Life of Pets - $103.2 million
2. The Legend of Tarzan - $20.6 million
3. Finding Dory - $20.4 million
4. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - $16.6 million
5. The Purge: Election Year - $11.7 million
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]